According to research from Georgetown University, nearly 65 million Americans have reported a recent episode of back pain. In fact, they also indicate that approximately 8% of Americans have chronic back pain problems. This causes…
If you are suffering from back pain, you may feel alone as you try to pinpoint what is causing your pain. However, it has been reported that nearly 65 million Americans have suffered from a recent episode of back pain. Dealing with back pain can be debilitating, leaving you desperate for the right solution. If you are unsure of what treatment is best for your back pain needs, you should consult a Florida spine surgeon who may be able to help.
Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery is a team of Florida spine surgeons who specialize in offering patients minimally invasive treatment options to help alleviate back pain. If you are considering facet fusion surgery, you may be wondering how this treatment option can relieve your back pain.
What Is Facet Fusion Surgery?
If you are experiencing back pain that has been found to be caused by facet joint syndrome, facet fusion surgery may be an option your spine surgeon suggests to relieve your pain. The facet joints of the spinal column are two small joints containing a bit of synovial fluid between all 24 of the non-fused vertebrae that make up the spine. When a person suffers an injury, ages, has undiagnosed osteoarthritis, or has used alcohol or tobacco for a prolonged period in their life, they may develop facet joint syndrome. When a person suffers from facet joint syndrome, they may be experiencing inflammation and pain as a result of the loss of synovial fluid, causing too much friction between the two joints.
A facet fusion surgery is a treatment option for patients suffering from chronic back pain as a result of spinal arthritis or facet joint syndrome. When a person undergoes this surgical option, the vertebrae in the painful area of the spinal column are fused together to stop the movement of the two facet joints.
Benefits of Facet Fusion Surgery
Facet fusion surgery is a minimally invasive surgery. Typically, this surgical procedure does not result in any complications for patients after the fact, like nerve damage or infection. Some of the other benefits patients experience as a result of having facet fusion surgery are:
- Joint pain is alleviated as a result of there being no further movement or mobility in the area where the vertebrae were fused together
- This surgery only takes about 45 minutes to one hour to complete in most cases
- Most patients will only need to stay one night in the hospital before they are able to return home
- Rehabilitation is not painful or lengthy due to the fact that there is minimal muscle or tissue manipulation
You may be a candidate for facet fusion surgery if you meet the following requirements:
- You have been diagnosed with facet joint syndrome, osteoarthritis, mild to moderate degenerative disc disease, or spondylolisthesis
- You did not find any pain relief from conservative treatment methods like anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroid injections, muscle relaxants, and pain medicine
- You must have attempted physical therapy, spinal manipulation, and traction for pain relief
Even if you meet the above requirements, you may be ineligible for this surgery if you have uncontrolled diabetes, a bleeding disorder, a severe degenerative disease of the discs and vertebrae, or an active infection.
Get Help From a Florida Facet Fusion Surgeon
If you have been suffering from back pain, you may feel helpless as you try to find relief. To get help finding the best treatment for your needs, contact a Florida facet fusion surgeon for help.
The experienced team of spine surgeons at Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery are passionate about helping their patients through minimally invasive surgical methods. To schedule a free MRI review at OLSS, contact us here or call (855) 853-6542.