Spine Surgeon/Back Doctor in Alafaya
Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery (OLSS) is proud to support the community of Alafaya, Florida by providing access to top-notch orthopedic care. Our orthopedic doctors and specialists use a patient-centric approach to treatment. At OLSS, we treat people, not patients. Using the latest breakthroughs and advancements in back and neck care technology and treatments, our team personalizes every treatment plan to meet your specific needs and medical history.
At OLSS, we offer a variety of treatments, ranging from conservative procedures to minimally invasive surgeries. When you schedule an appointment with one of our skilled doctors, they will determine the best approach for treating your pain. If you are struggling with back pain in Alafaya, Florida, the team at OLSS is here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
Why Does My Back Hurt?
Back pain is the leading cause of job-related disability and is the most common reason cited for missed workdays in the U.S. In fact, 80 percent of Americans will experience back pain in their lifetime with 50 percent of individuals experiencing more than one significant episode of pain each year. In short, if you are struggling with back (or neck) pain, you are not alone.
Every person’s back pain is unique, and while one condition may cause debilitating pain for one person, it might cause minor symptoms for another. The back relies on a series of structural components to function normally, and when any of these pieces—ligaments, muscles, tendons, discs, etc—become compromised, it can manifest as back pain. There is a long list of conditions and lifestyle choices that can cause damage to your back. However, some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Pinched nerves from bone spurs or spinal stenosis
- Bulging, degenerated, or herniated discs
- Osteoarthritis in the spine or joints
- Torn ligaments or tendons, like rotator cuff tendinitis
- Neck and back injuries, like whiplash
- Pulled muscles or tendons
- Abnormal curvatures in the spine, such as from scoliosis
- Lifestyle triggers, including slouching at your desk, smoking, wearing high heels, etc.
The best way to identify the underlying cause of your back pain is to consult a medical professional.
Should I Seek Medical Attention for My Back Pain?
The large majority of people will be able to resolve their back pain on their own with lifestyle changes, rest, and over-the-counter medications. However, if at-home remedies don’t work and your pain persists for more than a couple of weeks or prevents you from sleeping or participating in your normal activities, you should see a doctor. In addition, you should seek prompt medical care if your back pain is accompanied by:
- Weakness, numbness, or tingling down one or both of your legs
- Unexplained weight loss
- Bladder or bowel control problems.
- Constant pain that increases when you lie down or try to sleep
Additionally, if your back pain corresponds with a recent injury, it’s better to seek medical care sooner rather than later.
The OLSS Approach to Back Pain Treatment
If you are experiencing chronic back pain, the best way to regain your quality of life is to see a doctor. Our team employs a patient-centric approach to treatment. At OLSS, our doctors understand that treatment plans must be personalized to a person’s symptoms and medical history to be successful. Using both conservative and surgical treatments, our team customizes treatment protocols to meet your specific needs. Just a few of the cutting-edge services that we offer include:
- Stem cell therapy, in which cells are introduced directly into an injured area or joint to promote healing and growth.
- Epidural steroid injection, in which a steroid is injected to block the pain caused by nerve impingement.
- Endoscopic Foraminotomy, in which debris is removed from a clogged foramen in order to release the symptoms from a compressed nerve.
- Endoscopic Discectomy, in which a small incision is used to remove affected disc material through a painless laser procedure or small biter.
- Cervical disc replacement, in which an artificial disc is inserted to replace a damaged disc.
- Facet fusion, in which a spacer is inserted into the facet joint for stabilization and to stop it from rubbing on the surrounding nerves.
When you schedule an appointment with one of our surgeons, they will perform a physical examination, take advanced images, and ask you for a full medical history. Using the information gained from this protocol, they will identify the underlying cause of your pain and develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Expert Spine Surgeons Near Alafaya
Are you suffering from back pain and living in Alafaya? At your nearest OLSS branch, you’ll find highly skilled board-certified surgeons who are trained in cutting-edge medical procedures for neck and back treatment. At Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans that serve the unique needs of our patients.
To schedule an appointment with one of our skilled spine experts, call (855) 853-6542 or complete our online contact form.
Dr. Monica McPhail-Pruitt
Dr. Monica is a multi-disciplinary pain management expert and an indispensable part of the Altamonte Springs surgical team. She administers anesthesia and provides perioperative pain management. Her patient-focused approach to medicine has made her a favorite among patients. If you have any questions before your...Read More
Dr. Morgan Lorio
Dr. Morgan P. Lorio is a board-certified orthopedic spine & hand surgeon with over 20 years of surgical experience. Dr. Lorio completed his undergraduate education at Lousiana State University – Baton Rouge, where he received a B.S. in Biochemistry. Dedicated to undertaking a career in...Read More
Dr. Scott Katzman
Dr. Katzman is a renowned orthopedic specialist with over 17 years of experience. From when he was first trained in 1989, Dr. Scott has been helping patients with percutaneous and endoscopic discectomy. He is also an expert in spinal disc replacements and has successfully performed...Read More