Spine Surgeon/Back Doctor in Daytona Beach
At Orthopedics and Laser Spine Surgery, our award-winning medical team provides the best-in-class medical treatment for pain in your back, spine, and neck. With over 20 years of experience in their fields, our neurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic specialists, and physicians can carefully assess your situation.
Our specialists will first try conservative methods of treatment because we understand patients want to avoid surgery. We are proud to be one of the most respected centers in Florida known for performing minimally invasive treatments.
If you are struggling with back, spine, or neck pain in Daytona, Beach, the Orthopedics and Laser Spine Surgery team is here to help find relief and get you on the road to recovery.
Common Spinal Conditions Treated at Orthopedics & Laser Spine Surgery
It’s common for adults to experience back pain. If you are experiencing back pain, you are not alone. Back pain is one of the most reported medical conditions reported in the U.S. The condition and treatment for back/spinal pain varies on the cause of the pain.
- Pinched nerve: This condition occurs when the surrounding tissue or structure compresses the nerve and reduces its function. A pinched nerve most commonly occurs in the neck or lower back. When the lower lumbar nerve becomes compressed or pinched, the condition is called sciatica.
- Herniated disc: A vertebral disc has broken down, causing the inner material, called the nucleus, to seep through the wall of the vertebral disc. This causes pain to the surrounding structures or nerves. A herniated disc typically occurs in the lower back, the neck, and sometimes in the mid-back.
- Bulging Disc: A disc bulge occurs when the outer layer of a vertebral disc swells outward and applies pressure on the surrounding nerves and structures.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: This refers to spinal degeneration that occurs as we age. Degenerative disc disease usually starts to appear as we age. Circumstances such as the stress we have put on our back begin to take a toll. Degenerative disc disease is more common in the neck and lower back.
Treatments for Back Pain at Orthopedics & Laser Spine Surgery
At Orthopedics and Laser Spine Surgery, our doctors are experienced in various treatments for common back problems.
- Endoscopic Discectomy: A small incision is used to give surgeons access to the affected area of the spine. The damaged disc material is removed through a painless laser procedure.
- Percutaneous Discectomy: Technique used to surgically treat disc bulges, protrusions, and small contained herniated discs.
- Axial Fusion: A small hidden incision near the tailbone is made to replace a worn disc or fuses disc together.
- Endoscopic Foraminotomy: This procedure is performed to remove debris from a clogged foramen that is compressing a nerve and causing painful symptoms. Microdiscectomy is a minimally invasive spinal surgery to remove disc material pressing on the spinal cord or a nerve root.
- TLIF (Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion): This surgical procedure stabilizes the spinal vertebra and the disc or shock absorber between the vertebrae.
When Should you Seek Treatment for Back Pain
If you are experiencing significant aches and pain that have not reduced after taking over-the-counter medication and stretching, you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Keep an eye for other body fluctuations such as fever, nausea, or vomiting that could indicate a severe injury. A rule of thumb to follow is that if your everyday normal aches and pains worsen, it could be time to call a doctor. If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, call a doctor:
- Persistent pain: Continuous pain may be an indicator of an underlying injury or illness. Past injury or related illness: Illness or old injuries can often cause back pain and progress into chronic irritation.
- Pain shooting down your leg: If you are experiencing pain traveling down your leg, it could indicate nerve damage in the spine.
- Numbness or tingling: Feeling tingling in your back might mean you are suffering from nerve damage, resulting in permanent disability if left unchecked.
- Bladder or bowel issues: Cauda equina syndrome is the combination of back pain and loss of control of your bowel movements. Cauda equina refers to a collection of nerves at the best of your spine.
Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery Experts in Daytona Beach, Florida
At Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery, our experienced and professional neurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic specialists, and physicians are ready to help you find pain relief and recovery. We prioritize minimally invasive approaches because these techniques operate with minor damage to the body and faster recovery times than traditional surgical methods.
Our physicians are pioneers of minimally invasive spinal surgeries making Orthopedic Laser & Spine surgery the best minimally invasive treatment center in Florida. We are dedicated to providing our clients with a treatment made for their specific needs. You can call us at (855) 853-6542 or fill out this contact form.