Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery in Jacksonville
If you have discomfort in your back, spine, or neck, consider visiting the specialists at NJ Spine and Orthopedic. Our offices near Jacksonville, Florida offer best-in-class medical care for patients in need of pain relief and treatment. Our award-winning team utilizes up-to-the-minute research, top-of-the-line technology, and state-of-the-art equipment to encourage speedy recovery times and faster relief. From non-surgical treatment methods to minimally invasive surgeries, our medical staff has experience helping patients care for a variety of injuries and conditions.
For help determining the cause of your injury, take our free online pain assessment. If you already know your condition, discover which treatment options are best for you through our Treatment Finder. Have an MRI scan? Get a free expert review on our website today. Our experienced and board-certified neurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic specialists, and physicians are here to help you find much-needed relief and get you on the road to recovery.
When Should You Seek Medical Treatment?
If you feel any kind of discomfort in your back, spine, or neck, you’re not alone. Back pain is considered the most common medical condition worldwide. Experts say that about 31 million Americans experience lower back pain at any given time, and it’s estimated that 80 percent of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives. In many cases, discomfort begins to fade over time, but if your pain doesn’t improve, you should consider seeking a medical specialist. Here are a few signs that can help you determine if you need to seek help:
- Persistent pain: If your back pain doesn’t seem to be going away, if you have trouble performing daily activities, or if your discomfort won’t subside after consistent rest, it’s time to schedule an appointment with a doctor.
- Injury: If you’re experiencing back pain as a result of a recent injury—whether it be from a car accident, a slip and fall, or even an awkward twist while you were sleeping—you may have an injured disk in your back. Serious accidents commonly lead to back pain, but everyday activities can also be the culprit.
- Numbness or tingling: If your pain is accompanied by that pins-and-needles feeling, you may be suffering from nerve damage. If left untreated, prolonged nerve irritation can cause permanent disabilities.
- Bladder or bowel issues: Back pain paired with a lack of control over your bowels or bladder can point to a more severe issue: cauda equina syndrome. Usually caused by a herniated disk or trauma to the spine, this condition occurs when nerve roots are compressed and disrupt motor and sensory function to the lower extremities and bladder. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should call a doctor immediately.
- Pain shooting down your leg: If you’ve ever sensed sudden pain down one or both of your legs, you may be suffering from nerve damage in your spine. When a herniated disk or bone spur compresses the sciatic nerve, your body will react by numbing your leg. You should seek medical attention immediately if you’re experiencing this kind of pain.
Additionally, you may want to visit a doctor if your back pain is accompanied by unexplained weight loss, nighttime discomfort, fever, a history of cancer, or problems with balance. As a general rule, consider giving your doctor a call if everyday aches and pains begin to feel more intense. It’s better to be overly cautious than to learn of a serious condition after it’s too late.
Common Procedures at NJ Spine and Orthopedic
At NJ Spine, our doctors and medical professionals will investigate the specifics of your case and provide you with expert advice and care, no matter the condition. We provide patients with a number of treatment options, from non-surgical conservative methods of care to gentle minimally invasive surgeries performed through incisions that are smaller than a postage stamp. Here are a few of our more common, minimally invasive treatments:
- Artificial Disk Replacement
- Axial Fusion
- Extremity Tendon Repair
- Knee, Shoulder, or Hip Arthroscopy
- Laser Spine Surgery
- Stem Cell Therapy
Consult the medical professional at NJ Spine to learn more about which treatment options are right for you.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Jacksonville, Florida
At NJ Spine and Orthopedic, our expert team has experience treating patients with a variety of conditions. Our award-winning team of spine surgeons and medical staff is dedicated to delivering minimally invasive laser spine surgeries that eliminate pain and discomfort. We’ll combine advanced technology with a patient-centered approach to ensure that our patients get the best possible outcome.
Whether your injury or condition is minor or you require more complicated surgical care, our medical professionals are here to help you get your life back on track. Give us a call at (855) 853-6542 or complete our contact form today!
Dr. Monica McPhail-Pruitt
Dr. Monica is a multi-disciplinary pain management expert and an indispensable part of the Altamonte Springs surgical team. She administers anesthesia and provides perioperative pain management. Her patient-focused approach to medicine has made her a favorite among patients. If you have any questions before your...Read More
Dr. Morgan Lorio
Dr. Morgan P. Lorio is a board-certified orthopedic spine & hand surgeon with over 20 years of surgical experience. Dr. Lorio completed his undergraduate education at Lousiana State University – Baton Rouge, where he received a B.S. in Biochemistry. Dedicated to undertaking a career in...Read More
Dr. Scott Katzman
Dr. Katzman is a renowned orthopedic specialist with over 17 years of experience. From when he was first trained in 1989, Dr. Scott has been helping patients with percutaneous and endoscopic discectomy. He is also an expert in spinal disc replacements and has successfully performed...Read More