Orthopedic & Laser Spine Surgery in Lakeland
Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery is proud to support the community of Lakeland by providing high-quality back and neck care. Our team of spine surgeons and orthopedic specialists employs a patient-centered approach to treatment. Using the latest advancements and technology, our team personalizes every treatment plan to prioritize the needs of our patients.
Our selection of back pain treatments ranges from conservative, non-surgical procedures to minimally invasive surgeries performed through incisions smaller than a postage stamp. If you are struggling with back pain in Lakeland, Florida, the surgeons at OLSS are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What Is Causing My Back Pain?
Back pain is cited as the most common reason Americans miss work. If you are struggling with back pain, you’re not alone; medical experts estimate that 80 percent of Americans will experience back pain in their lifetime. While back pain can sometimes be resolved with rest, sustained back pain may last for three months or longer. In these cases, the pain is classified as chronic and it is essential to seek medical care from a doctor.
While back pain can occur in any of the four regions of your back—cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and sacral—it most commonly occurs in the lumbar, or your lower back. Composed of five vertebrae, your lumbar is responsible for supporting the majority of your upper body weight. Your vertebrae are cushioned with intervertebral discs that give your body support as it moves. When damage occurs to any of these moving pieces, it causes lower back pain. While back pain can arise from a range of causes, some of the most common include:
- Pinched nerves from bone spurs or spinal stenosis
- Bulging, degenerated, or herniated discs
- Osteoarthritis in the spine or joints
- Torn ligaments or tendons, like rotator cuff tendinitis
- Neck and back injuries, like whiplash
- Pulled muscles or tendons
Health factors such as obesity, stress, autoimmune disease, and other inflammatory conditions can place individuals at a higher risk for experiencing back pain and complicate the recovery process.
Should I Seek Medical Attention for My Back Pain?
Back pain is classified into three categories depending on the length of time the pain persists as well as the severity of the pain itself:
- Acute back pain lasts for less than a month
- Subacute back pain lasts for a little over a month but less than three months
- Chronic back pain lasts for more than three months
The large majority of back pain is acute and is easily treated with rest, conservative treatments, or over-the-counter pain medicine. However, if your back pain lasts for more than a month, seek medical attention. Specifically, you should see a doctor when your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms or conditions:
- Your pain persists for more than a month
- You feel numbness or tingling down one or both of your legs
- You experience fever, bowel problems, or unexplained weight loss
- Your pain corresponds with a bad fall or significant injury
The OLSS Approach to Back Pain Treatment
If you are experiencing chronic back pain, the best way to regain your quality of life is to consult a skilled spine doctor. At Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery, we understand that effective treatment plans must be personalized to be successful, which is why we use a patient-centered approach to treating back pain. Our orthopedic spine surgeons offer both conservative and surgical treatment options. Just a few of the cutting-edge services that we offer include:
- Stem cell therapy, in which cells are introduced directly into an injured area or joint to promote healing and growth.
- Facet ablation, also known as rhizotomy, is a procedure that removes the sensory nerves that cause pain.
- A radiofrequency ablation, also known as an impar ablation, reduces or eliminates coccyx (tailbone) pain.
- Axial fusion is a surgical procedure that creates a small incision near the tailbone to replace or fuse worn discs.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Lakeland
Are you suffering from back pain and living in Lakeland? At your nearest OLSS branch, you’ll find highly skilled board-certified surgeons who are trained in cutting-edge medical procedures for neck and back treatment. At Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans that serve the unique needs of our patients.
To schedule an appointment with one of our skilled spine experts, call (855) 853-6542 or fill out our online contact form.