Spine Surgeon in Miami
Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery is proud to support the community of Miami by providing high-quality back and neck care. Our skilled team of spine surgeons and orthopedic specialists are leaders in their field and have dedicated their careers to progressing the field of back and neck care. Using the latest breakthroughs and technology, our doctors personalize treatment plans to prioritize the unique needs of our patients.
At OLSS, we offer a broad spectrum of back pain treatments, ranging from conservative, non-surgical procedures to minimally invasive surgeries performed through incisions smaller than a postage stamp. When you trust OLSS with your back and neck pain, you will experience an efficient facility staffed with a team of doctors passionate about helping patients regain their quality of life. If you are struggling with back pain in Miami, Florida, the surgeons at OLSS are here to help you tackle your pain and regain your quality of life.
What Is Causing My Back Pain?
Back pain can arise in any of the four regions of your back: cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and sacral. However, it most commonly occurs in the lumbar, or your lower back. Lower back pain is one of the most common reasons people visit the doctor and is the leading cause of job-related disability.
Pain in the lumbar can be caused by a variety of culprits. Injuries—such as muscle strains or sprains—along with poor body mechanics and posture are some of the most common causes of back pain. Age can also be a huge factor—individuals over the age of 30 are at a much higher risk of experiencing back pain. As the body ages, the fluid content between vertebrae starts to diminish, which can lead to disc and spine irritation. Additionally, as you get older, you start to lose muscle tone, making you more prone to back injuries. The best way to identify the underlying cause of your pain is to consult a skilled spine doctor. Some of the most common conditions that lead to back pain include:
- Spinal stenosis, which occurs when the spinal column narrows, resulting in increased pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Common symptoms of spinal stenosis include cramps, weakness, and numbness in the back.
- Abnormalities in the curvature of the spine include conditions like scoliosis, lordosis, and other congenital conditions. These spinal conditions usually result in poor posture, which can place pressure on the muscles, tendons, and vertebrae in the back.
- Disc tears or injuries, which include herniated, slipped, or ruptured discs. When the cartilage that cushions your discs extrudes outside its normal position, it can put pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, causing significant pain or discomfort.
- Sciatica, which often occurs as a result of a herniated disc putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. Common symptoms include pain down one or both of the legs and feet that can feel like pins and needles.
In addition to these conditions, health factors such as obesity, stress, autoimmune disease, and other inflammatory conditions can place individuals at a higher risk for experiencing back pain.
Should I Seek Medical Attention for My Back Pain?
Most people experience back pain that can resolve with rest and over-the-counter medications. However, in some cases, back pain can last for weeks or months and doesn’t improve with conservative methods. In these scenarios, it is essential to seek medical attention. Additionally, if your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, you should see a doctor:
- It persists for more than a month
- You feel numbness or tingling down one or both of your legs
- It is accompanied by fever, bowel problems, or unexplained weight loss
- Your pain corresponds with a bad fall or significant injury
The OLSS Approach to Back Pain Treatment
If you are experiencing chronic back pain, the best way to identify the root cause of your discomfort and get on the way to recovery is to meet with a skilled spine specialist. At OLSS, our doctors employ a patient-centered approach to treatment. We understand that effective treatment plans must be personalized to be successful, which is why we take an individualized outlook towards treatment. Our orthopedic doctors use both conservative and surgical treatment options for treating conditions of the back and neck. Just a few of the cutting-edge services that we offer include:
- Stem cell therapy, in which cells are introduced directly into an injured area or joint to promote healing and growth.
- Facet ablation, also known as rhizotomy, is a procedure that removes the sensory nerves that cause pain.
- A radiofrequency ablation, also known as an impar ablation, reduces or eliminates coccyx (tailbone) pain.
Expert Spine Surgeons in Miami
Are you suffering from back pain and living in Miami? At your nearest OLSS branch, you’ll find highly skilled board-certified surgeons who are trained in cutting-edge medical procedures for neck and back treatment. At Orthopedic and Laser Spine Surgery, we pride ourselves on our ability to orchestrate personalized care plans that serve the unique needs of our patients.